Nickel allergy is a condition in which contact with items containing nickel causes an itchy rash and possibly blisters at the site of contact. The top photo shows a positive patch test (on the left), after a patch containing nickel was left on the skin for 48 hours.
A nickel allergy is an adverse immune response that occurs when someone comes into contact with a product containing nickel. Normally, the immune system defends the body against harmful substances, such as viruses and bacteria, to ward off illnesses.
allergic contact dermatitis, nickel, rash, itchy skin, blisters, jewelry
Nickel is in lots of things – jewelry, cell phones, eyeglass frames, and more. Are you allergic to it? WebMD explains.
Nickel allergy is a common reaction to minute amounts of nickel particles coming into direct contact with the skin and may include jewelry, watches, zippers, snaps and even eyeglasses. Approximately 10% of Americans have an allergy to nickel.
A nickel allergy is a reaction that develops after initial and/or brief, or repeated and/or prolonged, exposure to nickel or nickel-containing items, depending on the individual’s susceptibility. Degree of reaction also varies by person.
Nickel allergy results in a skin response after the skin comes in contact with an item that releases a large amount of nickel from its surface, and is commonly associated with nickel-containing belt buckles coming into prolonged contact with the skin.
Nickel allergy is very common, although not always diagnosed: about 15% of the population is allergic to Nickel! Indeed, Nickel can be found in many everyday items such as jewelry, coins, keys, electronic devices, dental and body prosthesis, pollution.
Nickel allergy, often caused by nickel in jewelry, is a form of contact dermatitis. Things like coins and zippers may also provoke nickel allergy.
About Christy Cushing. Diagnosed with systemic nickel allergy syndrome or a nickel food allergy in 2009, I felt alone trying to navigate living with such an unique …